Less than an hour from Vail, Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park provides families with a fun-filled Colorado spring break getaway. Families who travel together reap a lot of benefits: better health, reduced stress, renewed bonds and shared memories. Spring break is the perfect opportunity to escape your daily routines of work, school, homework, chores, practices and carpools, and have some good old-fashioned fun. Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park offers you a sure-fire plan to get rid of the doldrums:
1. Gain a new perspective from Mother Nature: The Adventure Park is nestled in the Rocky Mountains above Glenwood Springs, Colorado. After a scenic 10-minute gondola ride with views of snow-capped mountains, two rivers and the Roaring Fork Valley, you’ll feel nature’s calming effect kick in.
2. Learn something new to spark creativity: A guided tour of Glenwood Caverns provides the chance to learn about the area’s rich history and geology in a beautiful underground setting. Who knows what ideas might be triggered by a visit to the most highly decorated cave room in Colorado, filled with glittering formations? Want to glimpse a real experience of the Cave Tour? Check out this video of the Fairy Caves!
3. Pump up the adrenaline: Get your heart pumping with a race down the mountain on the state’s longest Alpine Coaster. Unlike most thrill rides, you control the speed and can fly screaming around the curves and over the bumps, or use the brakes and go at your own pace as you wind through the trees.
4. Yuck it up: Laughter really is the best medicine. Throw in a few surprises and a scream or two, and the 4D Motion Theater can be a real mood-changer. Featuring three films: “Rats Race Xtreme,” “Bamboo Express” and “Pirates Rapids.”
5. Take out frustrations with a laser: A game of laser tag, that is. A little healthy competition in an Old West setting, using the latest in wireless laser tag technology, can help get everyone laughing again.
6. Break bread together: Talk about the day over a meal. What was each family member’s favorite part? What did you learn? What was the funniest thing that happened? An impromptu awards ceremony with silly photos can be turned into a memory book for the family to share.
7. Start planning: Now’s the time for a family time-out. Numerous studies have shown the benefits of travel: travelers rate their health higher while on vacation and report that they sleep better upon return; employees are more creative and productive after a vacation; and couples who travel together strengthen their relationships.*
Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park’s mission is to make people smile — so the employees are dedicated to helping your family have a good time — and it’s affordable, which can often generate a smile. The Funday Pass this winter is just $37 for adults, and $32 for kids 3 – 12, and includes the gondola ride, a guided tour of Glenwood Caverns, and unlimited access to the Alpine Coaster, Laser Tag Arena and 4D Motion Theater.
The Lookout Grille has a cozy fire, panoramic mountain views and a menu that includes burgers, hot sandwiches and hot dogs served with baked beans or kettle chips, salad, nachos, soup and chili, all ranging in price from $5.95 to $9.95. Kids can choose mac and cheese, chicken tenders, or a burger, all served with chips and a small soft drink for $5.95.
Glenwood Springs features the world’s largest hot springs pool, hiking and biking trails, fishing, a vaudeville show, shopping, award-winning restaurants and affordable lodging options. The local Sunlight Mountain Resort offers downhill skiing and riding, trails for Nordic and snowshoeing, and snowmobile tours.
Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. Visit us online at www.GlenwoodCaverns.com or call 800-530-1635, ext 0, for more information.
* More information about the benefits of travel is available from the U.S. Travel Association at http://www.ustravel.org/sites/default/files/page/2010/02/benefits_of_travel_08_pdf_87080.pdf.